Skip to main content

An Ode to the Earth

Steadfast Angel in the sky

You guard me like a giant North Star

Bigger than any object up so high

And bigger than the Sun and every star


Dazzling display of colors

Green, white, brown and those vast blues

Streaks of gray, like feathers

Their spiral formations make me muse


Your crescent phase makes me wonder

Why I am the object of comparison for lovers

Monotonous white phases I offer

No match for the beautiful phases you deliver


Comfortable you keep your resident

I get too hot in the day and too cold during nights

Shade from the scorching Sun for hours you present

I can repay for a few minutes; then from humans I get slights


No experience of seasons, rain and snow

Or of the water flowing through rivers

Bored of those Sunny days and starry nights

Feeling jealous for I have water only in craters


Have watched your changing landscapes,

Catastrophes, nuclear explosion and Amazon fires

Global warming a reason the brown portion enlarges

Humans welcome as guests not as colonizers









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Florida Memoirs

“What did you expect about America that wasn’t true?” It was a loaded question; Brian wanted to ask me about the lifestyle, culture and the behavior of the people I met in my first 3-4 weeks of my stay in the USA. Brian was an employee of the client company that TCS deputed me to in Florida. I could not answer the question directly, but gave a political answer, “I expected skyscrapers in the USA, but here in Melbourne, I don't see structures taller than 2-3 stories”. Brian went on to become a good friend of mine. In fact, when my parents visited Niagara Falls, his father, a retired Buffalo city cop showed them around in his big Impala. Brian used to discuss how American history is bloody and how steak is the staple diet for all Americans during dinnertime. He had a couple of complaints about me, one that I can't truly pronounce a “w” and a “v” separately and that my English was more formal than his colloquial language. The day I landed in Melbourne was a cool winter day; yes ev

How much is enough?

Last week, Jeff Bezos, the world’s richest person stepped down as CEO of Amazon, a company he had built grounds up and reaped the benefits for all these years. Was he intrigued by someone else, Elon Musk, now challenging him or eventually getting ahead at the top and hence he wants to focus his energy and passion in something equally jazzy or he is just too bored of being called the richest person? We will never know the answer! Unless you are Musk himself, who saw his net worth increase 7-fold last year or you have struck a multi-million dollar lottery, your net worth would have steadily increased over the past few years (if at all) and will grow gradually over time. Of course this is very relative; some people may call a few thousand dollars as gradual or other ultra rich will weigh it in millions? Regardless, as your net worth creeps up, you will find yourself in a different spot; your colleagues will change, your social structure will change. In order to keep up with these changes,